Go back to normal view

 

Our Church

 

Chiswell Green United Reformed Church is hidden away down a leafy drive off the Watford Road.  It can be a haven of tranquillity or a centre  for lively celebrations depending on the time and occasion.

There is a service each Sunday morning and the premises are used extensively during the week by members of the congregation and local clubs and organisations.

Chiswell Green United Reformed Church has a friendly congregation who offer a warm welcome to all.

 

The History of our Congregation

The origins of Chiswell Green URC are to be found in the early 1950’s decision of Trinity Congregational Church, St Albans, to take part in the post-war development of new churches on the outskirts of the city. As a result the first service was held at Killigrew School on the afternoon of Sunday 8 September 1957. By 1962 the church had its own hall on the present site in which to hold its services and provide a meeting place for local community organisations. In 1965 Chiswell Green Congregational Church was formally constituted independent of Trinity, with 35 members. In 1971 the current church building was opened and, in 1973, following the national union of the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches of England and Wales, the church was re-named Chiswell Green United Reformed Church.

The United Reformed Church

Historically, United Reformed Churches are a Union of English Presbyterian and the Congregational Churches of England, Scotland and Wales.

In practice, the Church membership, through its Elders, has the responsibility for the vision and admisistration of the Church under God's guidance.

The Minister and the Elders provide pastoral care for Church Members and associates